CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

2.06.2008

Horrible Storms & A Sweet Happy Birthday

I'm sure by now everyone has heard of the horrible storms that ripped through the south yesterday afternoon through late last night.

Tornados and high winds didn't damage unknown to many small communities scattered throughout western/middle tennessee.

It wasn't until morning, upon the rising of the sun, that the damage to a small community called Green Grove in Macon County, Tennessee.

My son-in-law's grandparents and uncles live in this small town, along with several of his mom's high school friends.

The grandparents are doing ok for now, but it appears it will be 3 - 5 days before they get electricity back. This creates issues because she's on oxygen.

The tornado swept less than 50 yards from their house, taking their tabacco barn.

The house survived vitrually unscathed.

The uncle didn't fair as well. He lost everything to the ferocious storm.

His house. His barn. His tractor.

He is one of the stubborn ass people who never leave when a siren or alarm goes off.

He is the one that, come hell or high water, will stay put.

It nearly cost him his life.

His house collapsed around him.

He spent all night, in the dark still aftermath, trapped.

They found him shortly after day-break with few minor injuries.

The friends weren't as lucky.

They didn't hear the alarms or alerts on TV.

They didn't have time to run or hide or find shelter.

She was found in her home. He was found approximately 200 yards away from the house.

Please take a minute to consider a few things:

1. Do you know what to do if a disaster strikes your area?? Where to go?
2. Do you have emergency supplies stocked up somewhere safe??
3. Do you have bottled water, batteries & a flashlight??
4. Do you have a certain spot where you & your family will meet up should you get separated?

I'm sitting here thinking about my daughter's inlaws and it's times like these
when disaster really hits close to home.

I wonder if technology will ever be able to pinpoint trouble coming early enough to warn people. Warn them early enough to find safe shelter.

Very scary.

Please keep all of our blog friends that I know of in the south in your thoughts and prayers... Chuck, Flat Coke & Flies, Real Live Lesbian, and Mushy.


*************************************************************************************

Today is Miss A's birthday!!


Seventeen years ago today she made her first appearance into this cruel, hateful world.

The brat didn't want to come out.

So, I got sick of it and schedule the doctor to go in and get r' dun.

Three hours, an epidural, a psychotic episode on my gramma, and a severe alergic reaction to demerol later... there she was.

Finally.

So, here's to you kid!

May your blush be rosy, my your shoes be many and may your boyfriend be generous!
Cheers.

Just think. Only 4 more years and we'll have you a kegger!

Mommy loves you!

19 comments:

Bella said...

Happy Birthday Miss A!

This is a good post! Not that your others aren't! You know what I mean!

Last year, we were in a tornado. It was horrible. Our home survived. What was so bad, was that 8 students at the high school were killed when it destroyed the high school (my old h.s). I was at work (windows were shattered out)and it was HOURS before I knew if my husband and kids were ok.

SCARY sh*t!!!!

Jay said...

I'm so glad none of your family members where hurt. What a scary night. Sorry about the damage, hope it can be fixed up without too much trouble.

Happy Birthday to Miss A!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the birthday brat...:)))..when I saw the nes this morning my thoughts went to you and yours along with Mushy and the others I know in that area..scary stuff..I have been in a coupple while on the road ..it's not something I want to repeat...Take care of your self and your loved ones...:)

Chuck said...

So they get linked and I don't? :(

Just kidding...Man what terrible storms. Here in Alabama it was the northern part that got hit. Wasn't too bad down in my neck of the woods. It sure is sad though. Especially all those college students.

Happy birthday to your baby!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday A!

I sure hope all of our blog buddies in the southern states are all OK.

In this day and age we should have a much better warning system.

maverick said...

hey..happy bday to miss A...well sad to hear abt the tornaedo nthe damage it caused..hope ur frnds r doing good...btw blog updated :)

Leighann said...

Very scary indeed.

Happy Birthday Miss. A!

Mike said...

Happy Birthday to Missy A.

Glad your family members made it through. What a mess.

Diva said...

Bella- Thanks, Mama! The weather can be a spiteful ruthless bitch and nothing can stop her.
The waiting is the hardest part, huh?

Jay- Thanks!! We're praying for the inlaws. Very scary!

Robert- Yah, I know several of us are in this area that storms just love to hang out in.
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!

Chuck- I linked you and it didn't work, beeyach! It's fixed. Glad you're ok and able to gripe!

PP- No doubt. Advanced warning isn't all that advanced.

Mav- Thanks, buddy.

Leighann- Thanks, you hot piece of superwoman, you.

Buzzardbilly said...

I'm so glad you're alright, even if there is damage left to contend with. I was in a tiny little F-1 tornado once and it scared the living shit out of me. Seriously, the shit asked for an Ativan so it could calm down after plopping onto the floor.

Buzzardbilly said...

And, Happy Birthday to Miss A!

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

Happy birthday A!

Im glad to here you didn't get caught up in the storm. Sending some love out to those who did...

FHB said...

Those were some nasty storms. Glad you dodged it. And congrats to the kid, and to you.

Steph said...

Happy Birthday to your girl! She looks like she got some sass!

As for the storms, I saw it on the news. Hope you all keep safe.

Anonymous said...

Hey Diva???????????
thats ur kid??
and shes how old?
does she have the hots for fat marrid guys???
hehe
ok thats wrong
I'd kill a MF if he said that bout my daughter

I came thru Tn, Ky and Ga yesterday
and today and saw no damage. It does suck
u asked did we have those items for emergencies, surely you know I do.
I live in hurricane ally, I mean I'm ok with that, they are usually wet and blowwwwwwwwwwww
hehe
anywaay
sending out prayers for those affected anddddddddddddddddddddddd
ur up on Sage!

Amy said...

Things like this make you realize how helpless we really are.


Happy Birthday, Miss A!

HopSkipJump said...

My cousin moved to Tulsa with her husband a few years ago. Within the first month of her living there, she was in a bathtub with her two boys with a mattress pulled over top of them. I can't imagine living somewhere with threats like that. Maybe I'm naive. Supposedly, Vancouver is waiting for a monster of an earthquake. Our building is earthquake-proof. I hope I can believe that, living on the 16th floor.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Miss A!

Speedcat Hollydale said...

What a sweet bithday post to Miss A. Four more years will fly by quickly - that's for sure.
My brother was in the line of the storms ... luckily they did alright, and no damage to the house. I was worried as they were going through, though.
Mother Nature is one mean bitch sometimes.

Diva said...

Buzz- Yah, weather scares me worse than earthquakes. I'm glad the inlaws faired as well as they did.

Ms. P- You so sweet, girl!

FHB- Muchas grassyass, my friend!

Steph- Sassy as her mama!!

Sage- Ok, pal. I'm kickin your ass!! =)

Amy- Nuthins as big as Mother Nature. Nuthin.

IF- I grew up in Southern California, we got used to earthquakes... tornados & hurricanes scare the shit out of me.

Speedcat- I hide in the closet when storms are going through. Scary, scary.

Thanks to everybody for the birthday wishes!!